Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Departed


If you have 2.5 hours to spend on a movie that's doesn't quite do justice to a good idea, and is at least a half an hour too long...BUT has some of the best acting you will ever see, courtesy of Leonardo Di Caprio, I recommend this film.

He is magic. His screen presence is electric, his accent immpecable, his character as real as it gets. And he's finally getting to an age where he's an interestingly attractive man, not just a wildly talented, adorably cute kid.

I like Jack Nicholson and Matt Damon, but Di Caprio doesn't do them any favors: he's riveting, and anyone he shares the screen with—even these two—becomes part of the scenery.

I first saw DiCaprio in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. He played a retarded teenager, and was, in a word, sensational. His work has been of the same caliber since. But because he was the young leading man in the stupendously successful "summer blockbuster" Titanic, and became the teen idol of a generation of adolescent girls, he got tarred with what might be called the "David Cassidy" tag.

But nothing could be further from the truth. He's a great talent. And he proves it, again, in The Departed.

The Gunslinger

4 comments:

  1. Quite refreshing to meet another to the likes of me. I'll make sure to stop by frequently.

    Up here in Wisconsin, we actually go out with other bloggers to the firing range and do a 'wife swap'. Kind of like "Drinking Right" but really we call it "Shooting Straight."

    Looks like you have quite the arsenal too - my Springfileld V-16 Longslide fits nicely in my glovebox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, you've lost me on the whole "swap" thing. I'm either much older or much younger than you, 'cause I've never heard of "Drinking Right".

    Maybe it's because I in California and you're in Wisconsin...

    But, I'm sure glad you stopped by.
    I checked out your blog too. And dropped a comment.

    Come back anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole swap thing is trading guns to fire at the range. You get to try each weapon out.

    Now, I didn't realize it but about the whole "Drinking Right" thing. It was something that was organized in WI to counter "Drinking Liberally". DL was organized by leftists who get together in various cities and have drinks. Ergo "Drinking Liberally".

    Now, DR started shortly after where right-wingers also get together at a local tavern and have a drink. It's nice to see the face behind the blog.

    In other words, we get together and talk politics. It probably hasn't reached you yet, maybe you should start it. I have another great Cali blogger that I'm sure would be down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...yes...that's how I got to shoot a 9mm full auto carbine a couple of months ago.

    And yes, the muzzle rose just like in the movies. But that caliber wasn't too hard to control after a couple of bursts.

    Fun, fun, fun. I shoot with a gang of people, and have shot more different guns than I can count. It's alot of fun, and a good way to find one you like.

    I GOTTA get a 1911. That's the one required handgun I haven't picked up yet.

    I've shot Colt, Kimber, Springfield, and a few more whose names escape at the moment. My favorite was a Colt with a sweet trigger job that a homicide detective carrys as his duty piece. Smooth like "butta"! Makes big holes!

    ReplyDelete