Tuesday, November 11, 2008

How To Win Any Argument

1) When you keep prices artificially low, you get shortages.

2) When you keep wages artificially high, you get unemployment.


3) When you subsidize something, you get more of it.

4) When you tax or regulate something, you get less of it

These are laws of nature. Human nature. They are unbreakable. They are universal. And they are why Leftist policies always fail. Yet, every Leftist continues to believe that he can somehow invalidate these laws. No matter how many times these laws have proved inviolable, the Leftists continue to batter their tattered and broken philosophy against them.

For us, these four laws are gifts. Gifts to use against the often vague and generalized arguments Leftists employ to support their doomed programs. All we have to do is boil down every proposal to its fundamental effects. Some examples:

Rule #1 tells us that "Controlled Cost Medicine" will result in rationed care.

Rule #2 tells us that a high "Minimum Wage" results in fewer unskilled workers hired.

Rule #3 tells us that legal abortion encourages irresponsible sexual activity - no consequences!

Rule #3 also tells us that taxpayer funded abortion encourages choosing abortion as opposed to adoption—it's free!

Rule #4 tells us that "windfall" taxes on oil companies will result in gas shortages.

I'm thinking most leftist policies can be successfully disputed using these four rules. Am I missing anything?

The Gunslinger

18 comments:

  1. "Missing anything"? Not a thing,Gunny. Succinct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You missed the part where you explained how a progressive can be made to accept reality. You'd have more luck reasoning with a love-struck 14 year old girl, or a 6 year old in a toy store.

    Besides, what you're saying is mean and hurtfull and I won't listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks TJ.

    Anon...you're right. Logical arguments require logical minds. What was I thinking?

    This was more an exercise in clarifying my own thinking.

    Having a handle on fundamentals arms me against Liberals arguments— without having to be a policy wonk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Addendum to #3... subsidizing something also drives up the price that non-subsidized consumers must spend for it. Cf. higher education and health care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roland....exactly. There are lot's of addenda....for sure.


    This is an exercise in "keeping it simple".

    So I can remember it. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are there any tips on how to win an argument with a woman?

    ReplyDelete
  7. All popularity that India gains in software industry is due to cheap outsourcing services with perfect ness of highest quality. In India we have a countless Outsourced Product Development Centers that provide software solutions to the whole world.STC Technologies

    ReplyDelete
  8. If despite all these and the debtors will not pay they will threaten them with lawsuits if the debts are still not paid. On the other hand, on your side it is best not to sign anything whether these are collection letters or demand letters. Your initials will do when you accept these things.credit counseling

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Neat post. There is a problem together with your web site in web explorer,
    could check this? IE still is the marketplace leader and a huge portion of other folks will leave out your wonderful writing because of
    this problem.
    My web site > erinmore

    ReplyDelete
  10. If some one desires to be updated with latest
    technologies afterward he must be pay a quick visit this website and be up to date all the time.
    Also visit my website - amphora tobacco

    ReplyDelete
  11. Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?

    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains.

    If you know of any please share. Kudos!
    my web site: amber leaf

    ReplyDelete
  12. hello!,I really like your writing so so much! percentage we
    be in contact extra about your article on AOL?

    I require an expert in this house to resolve my problem.

    Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to see
    you.
    Feel free to visit my web site - old holborn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks to my father who shared with me concerning this weblog, this website is
    genuinely awesome.
    Feel free to surf my blog post :: borkum riff black cavendish

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great weblog right here! Additionally your site rather a lot up fast!
    What web host are you using? Can I get your associate link to
    your host? I wish my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol
    Here is my site ... van nelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging for?
    you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is great, as well as the content!
    Have a look at my site :: captain black

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello, this weekend is nice in support of me, as this time i
    am reading this great informative paragraph here at my residence.
    Also see my website :: male breast reduction

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi!,I love your writing so much! share we communicate extra
    about your article on AOL? I need an expert in this space
    to unravel my problem. Maybe that is you! Having a look ahead to look you.
    Here is my blog :: http://bostaditurkiet.net

    ReplyDelete
  18. When someone writes an post he/she maintains the image of a user in his/her brain that how a user can know it.

    Thus that's why this article is great. Thanks!
    My webpage :: under the skin

    ReplyDelete