Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What Would Lincoln Do?



Unfortunately, no matter what he WOULD do, the fact is, apparently he DIDN'T say this.

Sigh...my elevated paranoia, prompted by my posting a Sødie-Mayer satire as truth (blush) has made me check sources on everything...even something as innocuous as the above lovely quote that was sent to me by a friend.

And lo...apparently among Lincoln scholars, this is an erroneous attribution.
"Erroneously attributed to ABRAHAM LINCOLN. Since the 1940s these Ten Points attributed to Lincoln have been widely reprinted. They have appeared in such places as magazines, Christmas cards, and the Congressional Record. The Library of Congress and Lincoln scholars believe that any connection made between Lincoln and the Ten Points is spurious."
Is NOTHING sacred??

Hell's bells, they're all true, no matter WHO said them!

The Gunslinger

5 comments:

  1. The connection is here:

    http://www.dkgoodman.com/cannot.html

    At the bottom of the page is a statement that Rev Boetcker published the Ten Cannots on one side of a leaflet entitled "Lincoln on Private Property" with words from Abraham Lincoln on the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question is what were the words from Lincoln on facing page of pamphlet? After some quick googling I still haven't found what was on the original. I assume that it supported the 10 cannots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wisdom is wisdom...they stand alone. I'm not sure it matters, does it?

    Doesn't even matter WHO said them. They're still true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't mean the the 10 points didn't mean anything or that there was anything wrong with them. They are obvious by themselves. I was just curious what actual Lincoln quote was along with them on the original pamphlet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand, derrell. I just meant, I guess, I don't really care. It's not the messenger that matters, it's the message.

    But it is an interesting intellectual/historical question.

    ReplyDelete