Sunday, December 14, 2014

"The Young"



"Very good and honest look into a mind of an old guy.

Now if only the posters here would be honest enough that they don't know jack about the young and their experiences. "

The above quote was a comment on this article: They Made Me Write About Lena Dunham by P.J. O'Rourke.

It was a typical O'Rourke article, pretty much slamming le Dunham with snark and humor...as you would expect.

Our intrepid commenter obviously believes that if you are 67 - O'Rourke's age, that you don't know "jack" about The Young.

I read this thinking....where does he think old people come from? Space? Fully wrinkled and grayed?

And then I wondered..."God, was I that stupid? Are all young people that stupid?"

"Child," I wanted to say, "I see you have not exactly thought that statement through. You see, it's really quite the opposite. We 'old guys' actually have been The Young. And having been them, we know 'their experiences' personally and intimately. First person experiential knowledge."

"But you, "The Young," I wanted to continue, "have never been 'old guys'...have never been where we 'old guys' have been, have never seen what we have seen, never learned what we have learned, therefore can't know jack about us or our experiences."

"So," I wanted to conclude, "...if anyone's a stupid clueless asshole....uh.......that'd be YOU, chief."

But I had to "register" at the Daily Beast to do it...

...so I didn't.

/gun





2 comments:

  1. Gunslinger,

    Just trying to get in touch - could you send me an email when you get a chance?

    Thanks!
    Julie
    julieonpolitics at gmail

    ReplyDelete
  2. handed a couple of those "youths" a book for summer reading. salinger's cathcer in the rye. they made such a funny face. "a book?" yep, i'm a mean old guy. and yes, they will not miss what they never had.

    ReplyDelete